Google's favoring of its own services in search results doesn't just harm competitors, it also harms consumers, according to research sponsored by a complainant in the EU antitrust trial against the company.
If the waiter was rude, your hotel room dirty or the plumber sloppy, you should be able to say so online without fear of getting slapped with a lawsuit.
Oracle shrugs off Salesforce rumors...House OKs plan to stop NSA phone dragnet...why Ford's CEO is wary of Apple and Google
Yelp has filed a lawsuit against Revleap, a company that says it can help businesses improve their ratings, though Yelp says it actually spams them and cons them out of money.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has ended a nearly year-long inquiry into Yelp's businesses practices, after some companies claimed they received unfair or fraudulent reviews after turning down pitches to advertise.
Yelp has agreed to pay US$450,000 to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to settle charges that the company accepted registrations to its services from children under 13 through its apps.
A federal appeals court has cleared Yelp of claims that it extorted businesses into advertising on its site by fabricating bad reviews about them.
Searching on Yahoo will now deliver local business reviews from Yelp, through a partnership that could help Yahoo search compete against Google, or at least make it more useful.
A proposal to make websites liable when user-generated comments violate state laws would be disaster for many popular online destinations, according to e-commerce trade group NetChoice.
According to a report, Senior Vice President Eddy Cue is "prodding digital maps provider TomTom to fix landmark and navigation data it shares with Apple."
Several U.S. senators accused Google of giving search preferences to its own suite of services over competitors, but executive chairman Eric Schmidt denied that his company is manipulating search results during a hearing Wednesday.
Latest News Articles
- Dell XPS 13 vs. XPS 13 2-in-1: Which one should you buy?
- The Pixel 5 is Google’s smartest phone since the Nexus 5
- Apple opens preorders for the new iPad Air
- Apple may launch the first Apple silicon Mac in yet another fall event
- reMarkable 2 review: A ‘paper tablet’ that can replace notebooks
Most Popular Articles
- 1 HomePod mini: 6 things to know about Apple’s new smart speaker
- 2 reMarkable 2 review: A ‘paper tablet’ that can replace notebooks
- 3 iPhone 12 and 12 mini vs iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max: What you're getting and not getting
- 4 Where to buy the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro
- 5 iPhone 12 Pro: The six most important things you need to know
Join the newsletter!
- Why do gamers like RGB Lights?
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Umurangi Generation review: Evangelion Meets Pokémon Snap
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?