We’ve reviewed a bunch of lower-mid-range phones recently and they’re all getting harder and harder to distinguish from much-more expensive phones.
Smartphones - Reviews
We’ve reviewed some cheap phones lately, but Boost’s exclusive Dex (otherwise known as the Alcatel Pixi 4) makes all of them look expensive with its $99 price point.
We’ve raved about Huawei’s ‘Leica' phones’ (P9, Mate 9, P10 and P10 Plus) photography prowess extensively and we even use them for in-house product photography. But despite offering great value they’re also expensive.
After years of foisting overpriced mediocrity like the Xperia X Performance and the Xperia XZ on us (phones which were even outclassed by their predecessors), Sony has delivered up the Xperia XZ Premium.
In the world of flagship Android smartphones, there are some great choices. But the differences between them are very small and the innovations that make each one great are subtle and don’t affect usability too much.
We’ve reviewed so many Android phones in recent months and there’s been very little difference between most of them
We’ve been flooded with new phones over recent months and the differences have all been relatively minor.
It was only relatively recently that we saw HTC launch its flagship HTC U Ultra and lesser HTC U Play flagship phones.
We loved Huawei’s P9 ‘Leica phone’ last year. It redefined what photography with a phone could be. Now here’s its successor, the P10.
Huawei’s P9 ‘Leica’ camera impressed the pants off us last year and redefined what we could expect from a phone’s camera.
We’ve been spoiled for choice with budget phones lately. In just the last week we’ve reviewed the Moto G5 Plus which we declared to be the best value phone we’ve tested in ages.
Last year Moto’s G4 Plus and Oppo’s F1s battled it out for the best value phone crown. Both were great-value phones but they had their weaknesses.
2017 Has seen some impressive phone launches at the high end. However, the most revolutionary stuff might be appearing at the lower end. The gap between expensive phones and cheap phones has started narrowing at a dramatic pace.
Oppo makes phones that are both great value and great on their own. Recently we've been impressed with the very pretty Oppo R9s and the larger, does-it-all Oppo R9s Plus. The latter competes with the best, flagship phones on the market but costs...
We reviewed HTC’s U Ultra flagship phone a few months ago and found it to be a frustrating device. It looked stunning, it had some nifty features, but it was oversized and made a poor use of space. Now here’s the slightly-lesser HTC U Play. It’s smal...
Latest News Articles
- Pixel 2: Everything we know about Google’s next flagship phone
- OnePlus 5 rumors: Everything we know about the upcoming budget flagship
- Google makes the best Android apps easier to find with Android Excellence
- Motorola's Z2 Play comes with a smaller battery, a higher price tag, and new Moto Mods
- Sony outs launch details for its Xperia XZ Premium flagship and futuristic Touch projector
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Doom's free DLC unleashes hell on hard drives as a ludicrously large update
- 2 Confirmed: Windows 10 will cut off devices with older CPUs
- 3 Best password managers of 2017: Reviews of the top products
- 4 Microsoft's Office sales soar and Windows Phone fades in cloud-happy earnings call
- 5 IBM wants you to encrypt everything with its new mainframe
Join the PC World New Zealand newsletter!
- Old foes call a truce as Google and Microsoft reach patent agreement
- BlackBerry unveils first security-focused Android smartphone
- Lumia 640: Nothing budget about Microsoft’s latest handset
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?