Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- IPX3 rating
- Slightly deeper sound
- Less compact form-factor
- Gesture controls often unreliable
If the built-in clock interface, the IPX3-rating and the gesture commands strike a chord, this might be a smart speaker worth a serious look. However, if you want the best possible sound for your smart speaker setup, it may well be worth waiting for better options.
We’ve more-or-less made it through first stage of the smart speaker category: proving that products like Amazon Alexa and Google Home are worth your time, attention and money. Even if they’re not exactly necessary - these are still luxury consumer electronics products - the battle to demonstrate and communicate their usefulness has more-or-less been won.
Now, we’re up to the second stage: expansion and diversification. On paper, any company can try to build a better speaker than Google or Amazon whilst leveraging the same software. There are always going to be those who want to stay true to purest version of the Google Assistant experience. However, for everyone else, it’s important to have options.
Sony’s new LF-F50G promises to provide just that: an experience that’s exactly every bit as smart as Google’s own offering - but with a few added perks to justify the higher price-tag.
The Sony LF-S50G is a mono-aural smart speaker that produces 360-degree audio using two speaker units (a 48mm satellite and a 53mm subwoofer) bridged by a two-way diffuser. It’s IPX3-rated against splash damage and boasts Bluetooth, NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity.
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Airplay 2 available on Sonos
- Optoma Launches Home Theatre Series
- Federal court upholds LG verdict over misleading representations
- Voice Assistant use to grow 1000% to reach 275 million by 2023, Juniper says
- Nvidia to bring Shield TV to Australian market
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Apple’s new MacBook Pro: First impressions
- 2 Is the GPU pricing crisis ending? Amazon's selling a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 for $210
- 3 The best online courses for learning Python
- 4 The Lian Li Strimer infuses your PC's power connector cable with customizable RGB lights
- 5 Microsoft challenges Slack with a free version of Microsoft Teams
- Amazon Prime Day 2018 - Best Deals
- ASUS Zenbook Pro 15: A futuristic, exciting, imperfect, flagship notebook
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?