Seagate Innov8 8TB External Hard Disk review
Fast, looks good and just one cable
Fundamentally, the Seagate innovate is a single 8TB 3.-inch, 5,400rpm Seagate enterprise mechanical hard disk in a box. It has a single USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen.2) connector and so needs no extra power. Just note that older USB C ports won’t be able to supply all the power required to make it work.
The case looks sexy as these things go and is very robust, if heavy at 1.5KG.
More importantly, it’s actually quick. It transferred our 30GB test file at 185MB/s and read it back at the same speed – impressive stuff. With our 1000 (1.62GB) mixed small and large files it wrote them at 23MB/s and read them back at 101MB/s
At around $500 it’s not cheap, but if you need this much storage in a device that’s very portable and simple to use, it makes an excellent choice.
Related: PC World Test rig 2017
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Seagate show off new modular Lyve Drive storage solution
- Seagate's new portable SSDs are as colorful as they are compact
- Samsung give a new coat of paint (and a discount) to their T5 SSD
- Samsung introduce 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD
- CES 2019: Seagate sharpen portable storage lineup
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Microsoft tasks its Defender antimalware with securing corporate Android and iOS phones
- 2 Nvidia's GeForce Now hits 1 million users after two weeks, pledges day-one Cyberpunk 2077 support
- 3 We build a capable $300 gaming PC. Believe it!
- 4 Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 screens are cracking, some users say
- 5 This insightful Intel video explains how CPUs are made, in words you can actually understand
- HP Spectre x360 13: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S20 vs S20+ vs S20 Ultra
- Here's how much the Motorola Razr will cost in Australia
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?