Seagate Innov8 8TB External Hard Disk review
Fast, looks good and just one cable
Fundamentally, the Seagate innovate is a single 8TB 3.-inch, 5,400rpm Seagate enterprise mechanical hard disk in a box. It has a single USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen.2) connector and so needs no extra power. Just note that older USB C ports won’t be able to supply all the power required to make it work.
The case looks sexy as these things go and is very robust, if heavy at 1.5KG.
More importantly, it’s actually quick. It transferred our 30GB test file at 185MB/s and read it back at the same speed – impressive stuff. With our 1000 (1.62GB) mixed small and large files it wrote them at 23MB/s and read them back at 101MB/s
At around $500 it’s not cheap, but if you need this much storage in a device that’s very portable and simple to use, it makes an excellent choice.
Related: PC World Test rig 2017
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung give a new coat of paint (and a discount) to their T5 SSD
- Samsung introduce 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD
- CES 2019: Seagate sharpen portable storage lineup
- QNAP introduces new HS-453DX silent NAS
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1819+ and RackStation RS1619xs+
Most Popular Articles
- 1 AMD announces third-gen Threadripper, but confirms supply issues and delays Ryzen 3950X
- 2 Android 10: Ten essential tips for overlooked features
- 3 Giveaway: Enter to win a Huawei MateBook 13
- 4 Acer Nitro 5 (2019) review: A great budget-conscious laptop, at least for the moment
- 5 HP buys Bromium to apply virtualisation security to PCs
- IFA 2019: Everything you need to know
- Happy iPhone Day: Here's everything Apple just announced
- Hands-On: The Samsung Galaxy Fold is my new problematic fave
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?