Seagate Innov8 8TB External Hard Disk review
Fast, looks good and just one cable
Fundamentally, the Seagate innovate is a single 8TB 3.-inch, 5,400rpm Seagate enterprise mechanical hard disk in a box. It has a single USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen.2) connector and so needs no extra power. Just note that older USB C ports won’t be able to supply all the power required to make it work.
The case looks sexy as these things go and is very robust, if heavy at 1.5KG.
More importantly, it’s actually quick. It transferred our 30GB test file at 185MB/s and read it back at the same speed – impressive stuff. With our 1000 (1.62GB) mixed small and large files it wrote them at 23MB/s and read them back at 101MB/s
At around $500 it’s not cheap, but if you need this much storage in a device that’s very portable and simple to use, it makes an excellent choice.
Related: PC World Test rig 2017
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung introduce 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD
- CES 2019: Seagate sharpen portable storage lineup
- QNAP introduces new HS-453DX silent NAS
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1819+ and RackStation RS1619xs+
- OVH and MyRepublic partner to improve connectivity for Australian gamers
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Intel kills the Compute Card, a small-form-factor modular computing product that didn't stick
- 2 Your Steam library is getting a massive visual overhaul this summer
- 3 Data caps must die: How Google and Microsoft's cloud gaming ambitions could conquer ISP greed
- 4 Bloody B975 review: The optical switches impress even if the 'edgy' aesthetic doesn't
- 5 Facebook passwords for hundreds of millions of users were exposed to Facebook employees
- Everything we (already) know about the Samsung Galaxy S10, S10e, S10+ and Galaxy F
- Oppo R17 Pro review: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Want to play Apex Legends?
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?