Seagate Innov8 8TB External Hard Disk review
Fast, looks good and just one cable
Fundamentally, the Seagate innovate is a single 8TB 3.-inch, 5,400rpm Seagate enterprise mechanical hard disk in a box. It has a single USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen.2) connector and so needs no extra power. Just note that older USB C ports won’t be able to supply all the power required to make it work.
The case looks sexy as these things go and is very robust, if heavy at 1.5KG.
More importantly, it’s actually quick. It transferred our 30GB test file at 185MB/s and read it back at the same speed – impressive stuff. With our 1000 (1.62GB) mixed small and large files it wrote them at 23MB/s and read them back at 101MB/s
At around $500 it’s not cheap, but if you need this much storage in a device that’s very portable and simple to use, it makes an excellent choice.
Related: PC World Test rig 2017
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Seagate Unveils 14TB data storage portfolio
- QNAP introduces new affordable 3-bay 10GbE NAS
- Crucial launches BX500 SSD
- Crucial launch DDR4 2933 MT/s registered DIMMs
- Samsung announces the X5, the company's first NVMe SSD
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Nvidia delays GeForce RTX 2080 Ti general availability by one week
- 2 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti review: Changing the game
- 3 Microsoft warns that overstuffed hard drives could stall the Windows 10 October 2018 update
- 4 OnePlus and Google launch a mobile puzzle experience named Crackables
- 5 Newegg is selling an 8GB AMD Radeon RX 580 for less than $200—and you get 3 games free
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G6: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?