Seagate Innov8 8TB External Hard Disk review
Fast, looks good and just one cable
Fundamentally, the Seagate innovate is a single 8TB 3.-inch, 5,400rpm Seagate enterprise mechanical hard disk in a box. It has a single USB Type-C 3.1 (Gen.2) connector and so needs no extra power. Just note that older USB C ports won’t be able to supply all the power required to make it work.
The case looks sexy as these things go and is very robust, if heavy at 1.5KG.
More importantly, it’s actually quick. It transferred our 30GB test file at 185MB/s and read it back at the same speed – impressive stuff. With our 1000 (1.62GB) mixed small and large files it wrote them at 23MB/s and read them back at 101MB/s
At around $500 it’s not cheap, but if you need this much storage in a device that’s very portable and simple to use, it makes an excellent choice.
Related: PC World Test rig 2017
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- QNAP introduces AI-ready NAS
- Crucial launches P1 NVMe Solid State Drive
- Synology Introduces DiskStation DS119j
- Seagate Unveils 14TB data storage portfolio
- QNAP introduces new affordable 3-bay 10GbE NAS
Most Popular Articles
- 1 The luxurious Corsair 570X RGB, one of our favorite PC cases, is on sale for $80 off
- 2 More evidence emerges of a mid-range 'Google Pixel Lite'
- 3 iPhone XR vs Android’s best: A razor-thin margin of victory
- 4 Intel unveils the Intel Neural Compute Stick 2
- 5 Now you can sign into your Microsoft Account with your face or a security key—no password needed
- Oppo R17 Pro review: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Apple iPhone XS review: Astonishment at a price
- Google Pixel 3 XL review: Ghost in the machine
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?