MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
Back in black (and red)
- Solid performance
- Cooling solution works wonders
- Display looks great, minimal tearing
- Screen-size hurts portability
- Touchpad sometimes unresponsive
- Battery life as short as you expect
The GE73 VR Raider doesn’t really break away from the usual MSI formula but when the results are as good as they are, it’s hard to complain.
In terms of performance, we can’t say we were disappointed with what the MSI GE73 VR Raider delivered. Again, it lived up to its specs. Modern games like Overwatch and Total Warhammer ran without a hitch pretty much no matter how high we cranked the settings.
Perhaps more importantly, this performance rarely - if ever - came with a cost when it came to heating. MSI’s Cooler Master 5 fan system did a fantastic job of dissipating pretty much any build up and rarely stole the show, sound-wise, from the laptop’s booming speaker set-up.
Compared to both the EVGA SC17 (which is a little more expensive) and the new Alienware 13 (which is a little less), the GE73 claimed the top spot in more than a few of our benchmarking tests.
In practice, as well as theory, the idea that this laptop is ‘VR-Ready’ holds water. The performance you get out of the GE73 is exactly where it needs to be for what you’re paying. Like any laptop, that might diminish a little over time. However, for the now, there’s a lot to like about it.
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Dynabook announces 11.6-inch student laptop
- ASUS launches the ASUS BR1100 series kids’ laptops
- Google's Stadia game streaming service is now available on iOS via web app
- Acer unleashes the Swift 5
- Something for everybody in Acer’s new models
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 2 Report: Microsoft has put Windows 10X on hold
- 3 Tested: How fast Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 5G chip for PCs is
- 4 Google will make two-factor authentication mandatory soon
- 5 Now the MacBook could be the next to get colors
- Bowers and Wilkins launch the PI7 and PI5 wireless earphones
- What laptop should I get? Top 12 things to consider
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?