Huawei P10 smartphone review
King of the mid-range or should you pay more an Android phone?
The P10 comes with a reasonable 3,200mAh battery. However, despite all of Huawei’s promoted optimisations, as with the Mate 9 and P10 Plus, we hoped for longer than the single day battery life that we saw here. Even when we weren’t punishing the phone with its complicated photo processing, it would be low in the evening.
The P10 Plus isn’t waterproof but it is splash-proof. While this can’t compete with the fully-IPX certified Samsung Galaxy S8 waterproofing it’s better than nothing. Tales of phones dying due to a single drop of rain aren’t uncommon.
The phone also comes with a cheap, plastic case. It doesn't look great but it's thin and doesn't make the phone too bulky. More importantly it should protect against some drops and scratches.
Now that we’ve seen the P10 Plus it’s a bit harder to rave about the P10. Perhaps we should have reviewed them the other way round? At $899 it’s an excellent phone for the money. The camera pulls the rug from almost everything around it… other than Huawei’s own similarly-priced Mate 9 and older, cheaper P9.
But to our minds the P10 Plus is worth the extra $200. The camera optics are just that bit better, the speakers are better, the screen is better and there’s also the option for a dual SIM. However, if you can’t justify the extra, and if the much-larger Mate 9 is too big for you, this is one of the very best mid-range phones on the market.
If it’s still too much, it may also be worth looking at the HTC U Play which has already fallen in price to just $649. It’s much prettier but doesn’t have the dual-lens camera system (or a headphone jack) but is still a great alternative if you don't need elaborate photography features.
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple releases iOS 15.3 with a slew of bug fixes and security updates
- Patched Mac malware sheds light on scary backdoor for hackers
- Elgato’s Stream Deck Pedal is the input device you never knew you needed
- Apple launches Unity Lights watch face with groundbreaking 2D ray tracing
- Intel’s Alder Lake chip actually is faster than the M1 Max*
Most Popular Articles
- 1 The iPhone was created to be a breakthrough communicator. It’s not
- 2 How to undervolt your graphics card
- 3 How to download Windows 11
- 4 Apple is preparing ‘a feast of new products’ this year
- 5 Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT review: Affordable, quiet, and smart
- This adorable AirTag is one of the rarest Apple devices ever made
- What laptop should I get? Top 12 things to consider
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?