Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
There's nothing better than Huawei’s new Leica flagship Android smartphone
- Superb camera
- Very fast
- Still not great in low light
Huawei's phones have arguably been the most innovative in recent years. The P10 Plus is an impressive flagship with an outstanding camera and no real weak point (except for annoying low-light camera performance).
The P10 Plus comes with a generous 3,750mAh battery. While this is large in the market the phone still only lasts one day. Despite all of Huawei’s promoted optimisations, like the Mate 9, we’d expect to see better performance here. Even when we weren’t punishing the phone with its complicated photo processing, it would be low in the evening.
The P10 Plus isn’t waterproof but it is splash-proof. While this can’t compete with the fully-certified Samsung Galaxy S8 it’s better than nothing. Tales of phones dying due to a single drop of rain aren’t uncommon.
The phone also comes with a cheap, plastic case. It doesn't look great but it's thin and doesn't make the phone too bulky. More importantly it should protect against some drops and scratches.
For regions where the Huawei Mate 9 Plus isn’t on sale, the $1,099 Huawei P10 Plus is the company’s flagship. We haven’t seen the former but the regular Mate 9 is considerably more bulky than this, costs $100 less and has a lower-resolution, Full HD screen (which is 0.4-inches larger). If we had to choose, we’d go for this though. The camera system feels like it’s more-evolved and the screen is noticeably better. Battery life is about the same but overall it feels more refined than the Mate 9.
As for whether it’s the best phone to buy all-round? That depends... The Samsung Galaxy S8 is still brilliant with its superior low-light camera and waterproofing, but it’s not without basic usability foibles. It also costs $100 more. We'd put them neck and neck with the choice coming down to what's more important to you.
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Elgato’s Stream Deck Pedal is the input device you never knew you needed
- Microsoft ‘delighted’ by Windows 11 usage, but what is it?
- Legal experts have cast doubt on the Federal Government's proposed anti-trolling laws
- The best mobile games to play on a phone or tablet
- Intel’s new megafab won’t alleviate chip shortages anytime soon
Most Popular Articles
- 1 The iPhone was created to be a breakthrough communicator. It’s not
- 2 How to undervolt your graphics card
- 3 How to download Windows 11
- 4 Apple is preparing ‘a feast of new products’ this year
- 5 Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT review: Affordable, quiet, and smart
- This adorable AirTag is one of the rarest Apple devices ever made
- What laptop should I get? Top 12 things to consider
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?