360 Fly Mobile VR Viewer headset review
You can buy the same Virtual Reality goggles for less. If you can find them.
[Update: Check out our review of the 360 Fly 4K action camera]
We’re starting to see more and more VR headsets hit the market. This one belongs to 360fly – the makers of the impressive 360-degree VR camera.
You can attach most phones to it (3.5-inch up to 6-inches). The clasp is sharp and fiddly, though and it covers a phone’s buttons while also putting pressure on them and activating them (while setting up). However, once everything is settled you’ve a decent-enough, no-frills VR headset.
[Related: Google Daydream VR full, in-depth review]
The problem is, we’ve already seen the exact same thing from 3SIXT. Whoever is making this unit is rebranding it for various vendors. The main issue here is that 3SIXT’s unit sells for $40 while 360fly’s sells for $69.
As such we recommend you read the 3SIXT Virtual Reality Headset review, here which goes into much more detail.
There are some minor differences, though. The 3SIXT model we tested had very flimsy pieces of plastic holding the straps. The fixtures here are more solid. It makes us think that the factory has adapted it’s manufacturing processes since we received our 3SIXT review sample. Other minor differences are cosmetic, with decals and surface contours exhibiting some minor differences.
However, a potentially more-compelling issue is supply. It’s hard to find the 3SIXT model online and on the high street you’ve only got News Link, Optus, Virgin and Telstra stores stocking it.
As such it’s easier to get obtain the 360fly version which can be bought from JB-HiFi.
So while it costs more than the 3SIXT, that counts for nothing if you can’t actually find the 3SIXT or if you have to spend time or money procuring it.
Elsewhere, you’ve got the Samsung Gear VR which is worth paying more for if you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, thanks to the on-board controllers. There’s also the brand-new Zeiss VR One Plus headset, which does the same thing but with far superior optics and a much higher price tag.
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Casio releases a gold-plated Pac-Man watch
- Apple Watch Activity badges: Earth Day and International Dance Day challenges
- Will.i.am’s new US$299 Bluetooth face mask is like AirPods Max for your face
- Multiple sources claim AirPods 3 won't be part of Apple's March event
- Laser points to value with new smartwatch
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Apple releases tvOS 14.7 update for Apple TV boxes
- 2 Amazon's new game might literally destroy your graphics card
- 3 How to check if the Pegasus spyware is installed on your iPhone
- 4 Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.5 with app fixes, security updates
- 5 The 10 best survival games on PC in 2021
- Nvidia beefs up DLSS with more games and Linux support
- What laptop should I get? Top 12 things to consider
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Intel Core i3 vs i5 vs i7: find out which cpu is better
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?