This is a very down and dirty comparison of low-end audio performance on the Apple iPhone 7 and the Google Pixel XL as recorded on a Sony Xperia XZ phone! There's no specialist audio equipment here. But the output is a fair reflection of reality. We've used the opening of Bjork's Play Dead as it's a cacophony of treble plus the opening of Army of Me as it's a celebration of bass. We're in a small, empty, corporate meeting room and volume is turned up to full on both phones.
The difference between the iPhone 7's speakers and the Pixel XL's in a nutshell
Our two test clips quickly show up the differences between the speakers: There's very little between the two phones in terms of volume and audio quality at the top, treble end. When it comes to bass performance, the Pixel XL is a little louder, punchier and more rounded. But neither phone is great.
- Ultimate Ears Megaboom speaker: Technologically flippant hands on review
- Apple Maps tunnel navigation can be dangerous
- Tech 21 Evo Check protective phone case for Google Pixel XL review: First Pixel case we've seen
- Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- Pixel XL camera showdown: How it compares to Apple, LG, and Samsung phones in the studio
- The 5 funniest Google Assistant responses
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- Clamcase for iPad Pro 9.7-inch